Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Keeping the Connection and some Sesame Street too!


Recently I moved back into my college residence. Yes, I’m still in college; I hope I didn’t lose any readers who didn’t know this previously! Things have been pretty hectic around here signing up for classes and looking for jobs (as I’ll be graduating in December). At the same time I am coming into this last semester with my eyes and ears open. I am looking at things differently. I am trying to pick up on the subtleties of my generation that I may have never even noticed before. If I can gain knowledge about a generation by being vigilant I can then turn around and share my findings with you and then as an industry we can move forward and adjust our marketing strategies accordingly.

The last few days something has become really apparent to me that we as an industry need to take note of if we want to make gardening “cool” to Generation Y.  Being on a college campus again reminded me that Generation Y is more connected than any other generation before. Students no longer have to walk to other students residences to see what they are doing later – they just send a text. Students no longer have to call multiple people when they want to hold any sort of event – they just send an invite on Facebook. Even when students go to a football game or concert and want to know what other students thought about it they no longer have to ask each individual person – they simply look up a hash-tag on Twitter.

The bottom line is that Generation Y is used to being connected at the touch of a button. Through Social Media, millennials can access millions of members in their generation in a matter of seconds. Here in lies the problem that our industry faces. How can we start a movement to create a spark for a generation wide movement to make gardening something of interest? I understand that there are various movements on the big social media sites. However we as an industry need to get it out there. I can tell you that there are very few people on most college campuses that think about gardening on a weekly basis.

This is something we have to change.  The reason why other industries are so successful is that they introduce products to people at a young age. Lately gardening isn’t reaching the younger people in this nation. When we think about marketing we can’t think merely about selling a product. We also have to think about selling the future of our industry. If our industry can somehow make gardening cool to kids in elementary school, middle school, and high school we have embedded gardening into the minds of young people.

I think that this is the main problem with our industry. We are too reactive and not proactive. By establishing kid friendly garden centers and sponsoring kid events or even starting gardening websites for kids we have made it easier on the future of our industry. Currently we are trying to market to a group of people that are already set in their ways.

Some people will say that marketing to children is wrong, but believe me companies out there who are doing these same things are offering a lot worse. We are offering a healthy lifestyle to the future of the world.

Today was really a 2 for 1 post. I’ve had two topics burning me lately and needed to get them out there.  In the coming weeks I’ll be diving back more into the logistics of Social Media yet again. I just needed some time to set up my new “office” and get set to continue my research.

Please feel free to contact me for questions or comments. I return all emails and Twitter mentions.


Twitter: @mday55

Or find me by searching LinkedIn or Klout!

Also I’ll make a shameless plug that I am currently a gun for hire. I’ll be graduating this semester (a semester early) so if you know of or have a job available please feel free to let me know! Thank You!

2 comments:

  1. Mason, well said! We need to spark an interest and share the knowledge of older generations with younger ones who may not be as exposed to gardening these days. And, in turn, they can teach the older generations valuable lessons, too. We have a program that you might enjoy learning about called the Bonnie Plants 3rd Grade Cabbage Program. It's meant to teach 3rd graders about responsibility (in caring for a growing, living plant) and to instill a curiosity and excitement for growing at an early age. We award scholarships in every state. It's a lot of fun and extremely heart-warming. Simple, clean, old-fashioned fun with great life lessons. www.bonniecabbageprogram.com

    Best of luck to you in your studies! Great to see what you're doing in horticulture. ~Mary Beth, Bonnie Plants

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You! I took a look at the cabbage program. I really like what you're doing there. Also the idea of incorporating the Grow-Ums into your marketing strategy is interesting. Great Stuff!

    ReplyDelete